Tuesday, September 4, 2007

narrow

you know how "i heart huckabees" begins and ends with the question of whether coincidences are meaningful or meaningless? i love this question. for my part, i'm disinclined to take coincidences as "signs" because i find it difficult to believe that they originate from anywhere, or that they're intended for me somehow...i don't see them as a form of communication because i don't think they're from some(where/thing/one). i do, however, take coincidences to be generally meaningful, insofar as i am able to conceive of myself as still "receiving" something through them, even if it wasn't "sent" by anyone in particular.

i digress. the world gave me a motivational kick today by throwing one of my thesis ideas directly into my internet-browsing path, and i decided to decide to go ahead and settle on it. i shall concern myself with language as a point of divergence between the (so-called) schools of "analytic" and "continental" philosophy.

i'll head to the library tonight and post again with some specific ideas, but i can tell you right away that i'm going to need all the help i can get to narrow this topic down. more to come...

2 comments:

william.g said...

Doug, Although I'm not sure it is relevant, this reference to 'I heart Huckabees" immediately reminded me of a scene in "Repo Man". I don;t know if you have seen it but I would recommend it (not that that means anything). Here is a youtube link to the scene in question:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X4QKiYar9pI

Leah Charbonneau said...

Doug I want to know where the aliens are going to come into this I will be very disappointed if I don't get to hear one thing about aliens all semester!