i do a lot of reading about the 2008 presidential race, i think mainly because i like to watch how campaigns evolve and how candidates shape and reshape themselves in response to one another and to polls. it's a fascinating hall of mirrors; who's reading and predicting popular opinion most effectively? who's got their finger most firmly planted on the "American" pulse, and how do they attempt to give themselves that air of inevitability in terms of being the candidate that everyone else sees as the most electable?
in light of this, i thought some of you might be interested to see how the UFO question has been used--by candidates and voters alike--as a defining platform issue from time to time. jimmy carter was seen as the UFO disclosure candidate by many in the UFO community; george bush sr., with his extensive CIA background, seemed as good a bet as any to disclose "the truth" about UFOs while in office. on the campaign trail, bush jr. even once said (probably without seriousness) that cheney would take care of UFO disclosure as soon as they got to office. of course, these hopes were not realized, and you can imagine the response of the general public to a Hillary or a Barack or a Ron Paul announcing that UFO disclosure will henceforth be a significant element of their campaign for the office of president.
here is a series of articles concerning the relationship of various U.S. presidents to UFOs and disclosure (beware: some are based entirely on historical record, others are HIGHLY speculative). and here is an interesting collection of responses from representatives, senators, and the white house to letters written by citizens requesting congressional investigations of the government's UFO-related activities. happy reading!
**i've finished a preliminary outline for my paper and am currently tearing it apart in an effort to focus & reorganize my arguments. i'll post it as soon as i can figure out the best way to make it fit the space of this column. suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Monday, October 1, 2007
the "ET ticket"
at
2:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Doug,
Are your talking about the literal space of the column or a more figurative space from which the UFOs come?
Look forward to seeing your time line and outline.
Doug I swear you continue to amaze me with your ideas. only you would spend hours of your day contemplating presidents and UFO's seriously.I love this idea and really want to learn more about it. I think this is a great thing to research and I want to have a long conversation about this while sitting on your porch looking up into the the sky as we talk in order to be UFO watching AND talking. sounds like a plan buddy.
Doug,
That is a very fascinating concept. I find mix politics and the study of UFOs together very interesting, but if you changed the politics/ elections to something else and connect it with UFOs I think that you could do it. I really enjoy reading your blogs and I also wanted to thank you for your advice you placed on your blog.
I have decided to move away from media and go on to art, film, and literature. Harriette agreed that was a secure move because those have more perminance to them, as opposed to the changes that go on in the media.
Hi Doug!!!
Someone who had UFO disclosure on his or her platform in the upcoming election would definitely have my attention. Do you know if any of the current candidates have publicized views on the topic?
-C
Leah: Good luck getting Doug to say a word while he is actively UFO-hunting. ;)
Hi Again!
I stumbled across this video and I thought you might gain a piece of enjoyment from it. :)
-C
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e5d_1192463554&p=1
kid asks rudy what happens if aliens attack and he trivializes question. shows how marginalized the issue really is. prob not helpful for your paper but nonetheless...
http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1&realattid=f_f86oczhg&attid=0.1&disp=inline&view=att&th=115d50eaa200fedd
I don't know saw it thought of you.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2007/10/ufos_and_alien_life.html?nav=rss_blog
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/10/30/439780.aspx
Kucinich on UFOs and Gov Bill Richardson on gov't disclosure of Roswell. Be sure to read the comments section, i think this all happened yesterday.
Post a Comment